YOU COULD BE OWED £1,000s IN PPI COMPENSATION ON YOUR FIRST DIRECT MORTGAGE ACCOUNT
What is Mortgage PPI?
Many mortgage lenders sold PPI to their customers over the last 20 years or so. The policy was meant to act as a safety net to protect you from falling into arrears if you ever stopped working because of sickness, an accident or if you became unemployed, the policy would cover your mortgage repayments.
As a result mortgage PPI claims can be of high value because of the amount borrowed and the duration of the agreement. Bear in mind that mortgage PPI applies to remortgages as well as mortgages, so you may have been paying PPI on each mortgage and remortgage you may have taken out. Was the PPI mis-sold to you? Check all your paperwork from First Direct and other lenders carefully.
Grounds on Which Mortgage PPI May Have Been Mis-sold by First Direct
There are several ways in which First Direct PPI was mis-sold. Lots of people took out PPI cover with their mortgages believing that it boosted their likelihood of being accepted, or that the policy was a necessity. However, there are many other ways it may have been mis-sold:
- Were you aware that First Direct had added the PPI insurance to your mortgage? If you had no idea you had it, you may have been mis-sold.
- At the time First Direct sold you mortgage PPI, were you unemployed, retired or a student? If so, you may never have been able to claim on the policy, so it could have been mis-sold.
- If the policy costs weren’t listed separately by First Direct to the mortgage advance, you may have been mis-sold. First Direct was required to list the costs separately.
- Did First Direct provide you with information about alternative policies? If not, then you may have been mis-sold, because there may have been cheaper and alternative cover elsewhere.
- Were you informed by First Direct about any exclusions? For example, if you had any pre-existing medical conditions, the cover may have been voided, therefore you could be classed as being mis-sold.
- Did First Direct make it clear that mortgage PPI was optional and not compulsory? If First Direct told you it was required in order to get the mortgage, or you felt pressured in any way to taking out mortgage PPI, you might have been mis-sold.
- Were any checks done by First Direct to determine if you already had other policies in place? If not, you may already have been fully covered, so were mis-sold if they failed to check.
- Did First Direct check if your employer provides full sick pay? If no checks were done and you are entitled to full sick pay, your mortgage payments would have been covered rendering the mortgage PPI unnecessary.
What Do I need to Start My PPI Claim with First Direct?
Start by finding your paperwork with evidence of mis-sold PPI. You will need this to make a claim. If you no longer have the paperwork, don’t worry we can find out if you had PPI on this or on any previous finance products and/or accounts.
If you notice that your account had PPI attached to it, think back to when it was sold to you. Can you remember when or why you agreed to it? Were you informed that it would be added?
If you can’t remember please don’t worry, we can check if you had PPI with First Direct mortgage for free.
How to start your PPI claim with First Direct?
To get your PPI claim underway we’d like to discuss the details of your case with you, so your complaint can be lodged with First Direct on your behalf as quickly as possible.
- To start your PPI claim we first need to establish if you had PPI on your First Direct mortgage account. To start your Free PPI check with First Direct complete our online form with your contact details.
What If my PPI Claim Has Already Been Rejected by First Direct?
If you have raised a previous PPI complaint with First Direct which was not upheld, you are now be entitled to raise a further complaint relating only to the commission charged under the new Plevin ruling on your PPI policy, please complete our online High Commission PPI Check check.
Mortgage providers facing PPI claims:
The following is a list of mortgage providers who are known to have sold PPI. Please note this is not an exhaustive list.