Fenwick is an independent chain of department stores in the UK and has 10 branches across the country.
During the 1990s and 2000s like many other high street retailers, Fenwick was one of the main shops that ran store cards during this period. 1.
Fenwick Store Card Accounts
Fenwick Store cards were sold as a convenient line of credit for customers who could not or did not want to pay in full in one transaction.
Generally, many retailers made a profit on shoppers who failed to pay off the balance on the card each month, when outstanding balances would attract interest charges of up to 30%.
Strict regulations were introduced in 2011 to prevent shoppers from falling into debt and the government banned commission and upfront discounts being associated with store cards.
Shoppers who signed up to a store card may also have had payment protection insurance (PPI) made available to them but if the PPI was mis-sold, then compensation may be due.
Did Fenwick Offer PPI on their Store Cards?
However, If you took out a store card in the 1990s or 2000s with another retailer you might be owed money on the following grounds.
Grounds on Which PPI May Have Been Mis-Sold on store cards
- You were told by that having the PPI policy was a compulsory requirement.
- The store card provider did not check if you had any exclusions that would make it impossible to make a claim on the PPI policy?
- You were led to believe that you needed to buy PPI from them to be accepted for the store card account.
- The store card provider didn’t check to see if you already had this type of insurance cover through your employer or another policy.
- You believe you were sold you the wrong insurance product by the store card provider
- The store card provider did not check your employment status to ensure you were not self-employed, unemployed or retired as PPI does not cover these.
- The store card provider didn’t check if you had any pre-existing medical conditions before selling you the PPI cover as these can fall under exclusion clauses.
- The store card provider has already been fined and/or is facing mis-sold PPI queries.
- The store card provider did not disclose if commission on PPI policy was being paid to an intermediary or how much it was.
What Do I need to Start my store card PPI claim?
If you believe you were sold PPI you can start by finding your paperwork with evidence of any mis-sold PPI. You will need this to make a claim.
If you notice that your account had PPI attached to it, think back to when it was sold to you.
Can you remember:
- when or why you agreed to it?
- if you were informed that it would be added?
If you can’t remember please don’t worry as this can be done during the PPI check.
How Do I Start my PPI Claim?
Plevin Ruling – Making a High Commission PPI Claim
If you have raised a previous PPI complaint with your store card provider which was not upheld, you are now be entitled to raise a further complaint relating only to the commission charged under the Plevin ruling on your PPI policy. Learn more about PPI High Commission claims.